Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Louisiana Cookin' Dinner

We have some friends from Louisiana that live in our same town.  There actually are lots of people from Louisiana that migrate to the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  Anyway, we both spotted this great magazine with wonderful recipes from home and decided that after each magazine arrives, every other month, we would choose a dinner from the magazine and have friends over.  We each invite another couple.
First one was last night at our house.  

Menu

Mango Salsa with chips 
(Yummy, fresh tasting and a bit spicey)

Nottoway Plantation Salad
(Dressing to die for with 12 ingredients, did I mention sugar and honey)

Barbecued Shrimp on a bed of sweet potato grits
(The grits were a hit, had to have the what are grits explanation during dinner)
(White hominy (corn) ground fine)

Pumpkin Creme Brulee
(Supposed to be, but this couple couldn't come at the last minute)
(I know, Miss Janet would say, they should have dropped off dessert anyway, I agree)

Pumpkin Fudge, Chocolate Fudge, Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
(Great substitutes)

I guess this is where there should be great pictures of the food.  Having too much fun with friends, totally forgot.  But I did snap a few shots of the table before everyone arrived.


Hayes Ranch wine, if you can find this has blackberry in it, great under $10 bottle.


Hammered everyday stainless, I don't know the pattern, wish I did.  I am getting low on some pieces.  I got it a Neiman Marcus years ago.



I love my individual salt and peppers, if you ever need a hostess gift this a fabulous one. Found mine on clearance at TJMaxx Homegoods, I have seen them at Marshall's too.



I broke out the Waterford, so great to use.  Araglin pattern


Gold chargers, BBBeyond and white plates IKEA bargain.  Place setting of 4 / $4.99 a box of four place settings.  Ladies 12 pieces per box, isn't that less than 50 cents a piece! It was a one day sale they had.  I have 20 place settings. And yes the line was out the door before they opened.  Burgandy napkins from second daughters wedding reception. Red bottomed glasses, Pier One.  Runner Pier One.

It was too much fun!

Magazine link:
Louisiana Cookin'


Sharing with:
Tabletop Tuesday - A Stroll Through Life





11 comments:

  1. This sounds like it was such a nice get-together! (except for the no-shows) Wouldn't invite THEM again! Hrumph!

    I found your flatware & its on sale right now at NM:

    store/catalog/prod.jhtml;jsessionid=YZKLWBVXXNJYUCQAAKQBACQ?itemId=prod5362118&ecid=NMALRFeedJ84DHJLQkR4&ci_src=14110925&ci_sku=H003D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Rettabug! Can you believe it ladies, she googled, she found my flatware! And on sale!

    Big thanks and hey another reason why I blog!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a yummy menu and your table looks wonderful! La

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tables is beautiful and the meal sounds delicious! I love mango salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put together one delicious sounding menu! The table looked beautiful too.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea for a dinner party!! Your table setting looks so pretty! We are having a a dinner party this weekend and I just realized we don't have enough plates! I wish I had an Ikea close by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori and fellow Louisianian Ÿ I'm your newest follower.

    What a fun menu, yummmy! And the table setting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tablescape, beautiful fall colors. The wire pumpkin is just lovely. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh Lori I am loving your table. So beautiful!

    So yeah I really really like that dremel tool. It's not for everything, but it cuts like butta and it's more (way more to me at least) precise than a jigsaw. (but maybe I'm just an idiot with a jigsaw ;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your menu sounds wonderful, and the table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lori,
    Love the tablescape and the menu sounds devine...those grits and shrimp!!! Now, I must say that the guest who was unable to come put a damper on the dessert course, but, I'm not sure she's responsible to drop it off if she's not attending the dinner. Terribly unfortunate--this kind of stuff happens to me ALL the time! It would have been a nice gesture on her part however. :):)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...