Saturday, October 12, 2013

My first try at upholstry

We inherited a tiny wing back ladies chair.  This will be its third fabric change since we have had her, but my first try to upholster.  I did get a bid for $375, yikes.  Gee, maybe I could do that myself.

Here is the little ladies chair in red. This was my first attempt at a chair slipcover.  my only attempt

Now she is a sassy little thing.

I will try to take you through the steps I took.  First,  I removed the red slip cover and removed as many nails as I could.  I would need to staple the new fabric to the frame.  

I then cut the slipcover apart into sections and used them as patterns for the new bold fabric.

I cut and placed the new fabric where it would end up.  Basically to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

I did watch some you tube tutorials.  They used a tool to push the fabric through the creases.  I used a shishkabob skewer.  It worked like a charm!

One piece complete and then I took a break to you know... grand babysit.

Sorry, after the above process, I was so wanting to finish her and I didn't take another picture.  Basically, I covered all the staples with black braid.  Hot glue and black fabric nails.  Then sewed a new cover for the cushion, and called her done!

I am still not sure about the silk fringe on the cushion, but will try and live with it for a while.  But, I like the fresh new little sassy chair just the way she is for now.

Sharing with:
Coastal Charm
Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Savvy Southern Style


  1. You did an amazing job. I love the new fabric and fabulous tutorial. Hugs, marty

  2. Great job! I'm so impressed
    Visit me daily at


Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...