Tuesday, October 15, 2013

100 year old bench

I would estimate this piano/vanity bench is over 100 years old.  I have recovered it three times.  


After I unscrewed the top half, you could see the layers of different fabrics.  It was a dirty process, but I removed them all.  

I wanted a neutral color and I happened to have this creamy yellow on hand.  

Below you can see a swatch from each recovered layer.  I dated the scraps that I had replaced.  The black and gold piece on top is the original fabric.  What a simple connection to all the housewives that had fun recovering the little bench.

I saved and stored the fabric swatches in a bag under the bench.

I needed a place to drop my purse in the front room.  Perfect spot now.  A kind of sofa table.

I think it needs some Annie Sloan Chalkpaint to brighten and lighten her up?  What do you think?


Sharing with:
My Favorite Things

2 comments:

  1. The bench turned out great Lori! I love the idea of saving the dated swatches:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, I'd lighten it up!
    love that you saved the fabrics...such history!
    It looks cute where you have it.
    www.minnesotajunker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...