Saturday, June 22, 2013

Loving the "new to me" kitchen


New counter tops, led to new painted cabinets, led to new paint on the wall, led to new eat-in area.  Makes me very happy!


The original counters were 1990 ceramic tile and GROUT!  Gross grout!  


We had them replaced with Colonial cream granite.  You can see the granite search story here.
I wanted light and bright colored granite.  This one is perfect.  And of course cost a bit more, because it seems everyone now wants light colored granite.  Lucky us!




The cookbook area became the morning coffee area.  Much less groggy, half awake walking to find the creamer and a shorter distance to the sink to fill the coffee pot with water.  Yep, we are old fashioned that way, no single use coffee maker for us.  

We also extended the island and counter above the sink.  Increased our counter space tremendously.  I can now get a stool under the island on one side.  


I know you are checking out the absolute black island slab.  That was one of my last stands.  The granite guys wanted all colonial cream, I wanted the black island to kind of anchor the whole kitchen together.  With lots of stainless steel and black it really pops.  And is a nice calming effect as you look around the kitchen.  I found lots of examples on Pinterest, so I knew it would work. 

I use a lot of black in decorating. Black shutters, black mantel, pretty much a touch of black in every room.  Black shutter project you can see here.  

We thought we might have to replace the tumbled marble backsplash, but it blended perfectly.  


A much needed new cook top that is super easy to clean.  (except when I take a picture and leave crumbs all over it)  Even with crumbs it looks so much better than the old one below.


Hubby let me totally choose everything.  He is great like that.  I went from a 50/50 sink to a full deep large one.  Love it and it just perfect for twin grand-daughter's to fit in for bath time.  


I painted the cabinets with Annie Sloan "old white" paint and a light coat of varnish.  They are so much brighter now, I reused the black knobs.  It took two cans of paint and one container of her varnish.  

I sold the oval black kitchen table and purchased new chairs and I already had the zinc table.  Empty nesters only need two seats.  And when we have the entire family over we really do use the dining room.



The "new to me" kitchen is everything we hoped for and more.  Up next, my favorite things.


Stuff

faucet - Kohler
cook top - IKEA
lamp shade - Tuesday morning
chairs - Homegoods
zinc table - Pier One
small chandy - Ballard Designs
vintage stool - Round Top

Sharing with:


27 comments:

  1. I love your new decorated kitchen and yes, light granite it's so pretty and we have them too; like you say, they were a bit more expensive. I also love black and we have our kitchen floor with a mirrored shiny black Italian tile. Your kitchen looks gorgeous, congrats and enjoy my friend. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur granite is gorgeous and I agree the black is wonderful for the island. The new cooktop and cabinet paint are fantastic too. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, Lori! Your kitchen is just gorgeous! I love your pretty granite. I have the light granite too and just love it. I like the contrast of your black island and that granite! You've done a great job on choosing everything! I know you're going to enjoy it. Maybe you should cook in it for a while and just look at it! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is beautiful!! I love all the choices you made. The granite is beautiful and I like the accessories too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new kitchen! It looks great and I love your new counter tops-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new kitchen. I remember when we did our kitchen remodel, it was so much work, but oh so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting your new kitchen...love the new granite.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori-I am just back from vacation and am getting caught up visiting. Your kitchen looks spectacular! I LOVE it. I love the lighter granite, too. All the work was definitely worth it. I also saw those two sweet babies below and want you to know that I think they are just absolutely beautiful! Imagine what stunners they are going to be when the grow up! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Granite is a popular choice for kitchen countertops due to its durability and aesthetic quality. You're indeed lucky to have one in your own kitchen. I wonder if you sought for professional help in designing your kitchen or you incorporated your personal preferences. Either way, I'm glad that you came up with a fabulous kitchen. :)

    TittleBrothers.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitchen looks wonderful! We have very similar taste in color pallet. I am trying to finish up our kitchen makeover I started back in March. Uggg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen is beautiful and I love that the island has a different color of granite! Love the new sink and the painted cabinetry. You did a great job.
    I just found your blog on Savvy Southern Style and I am now following you on bloglovin. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime.
    Thanks, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  13. The granite is absolutely fabulous. I want to get that paint on my mom's cabinets so badly. This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the granite! it's beautiful in your kitchen ... and, love your contrasting island, too! Thanks for linking up to our Fun in the Sun party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your long wait finally paid off! Your kitchen looks lovely. Renovations can be stressful at times, but seeing it like this makes it all worth it. Anywho, my favorite is the additional table and chairs by the window. I could imagine how good it is to drink coffee while enjoying the view outside your window. -->Ryann Hoyer @ YanceyCompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...