Friday, February 7, 2014

Tongue and Groove plank ceilings

Never again will we take on a project this huge.  Number 1 ~ we are not young enough.  Number 2 ~ we really didn't have the proper tools.  Number 3 ~ I have learned to save up and pay someone else.

Here is a brief tutorial of our three year project, yep, three years.  We both work full time and Lynn is the tallest so he was in charge of the hammer and nails.   So I had to rely on hubbie being home and beg him to "want to put up more boards honey?" Plus, within that time we had three grand-daughters enter our lives and kind of got us sidetracked.

My goal was to cover the popcorn ceilings in the main four living areas, instead of scraping, taping, texturing and painting them.



 First purchase (lots) of tongue and groove pine strips, primer and interior paint.

Prime and paint one coat on tons and tons of boards.


We marked the joists and used liquid nail goop on the back and nailed right onto the popcorn ceiling.

Yes, board by board, no nail gun, no scaffolding, either.   Pain in the neck literally.

 Starting to get the idea of what the finished ceilings would all look like.

 Everything received a second coat of paint by me with a roller brush.

 After a two year rest, playing and babysitting grands, we started on the kitchen and den.  No crown molding yet, but getting pretty close to done.

Then recruited begged my brother and two son-in-laws to almost finish the project.  My brother lives in Louisiana but came in for help with board installation and new improved lighting in the kitchen.




Now all that was left was the crown molding and another coat of paint.  Which at this stage of the project we were much wiser older and hired out the remainder of the work.

Next up the finished beautiful cottage ceilings.

Sharing with
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors


5 comments:

  1. Wow, I know that's hard work! It looks fantastic. Such a classic look for any home. By the way, my Dad's house is 104 years old and his ceiling is like that. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that is truly a huge project and I don't think I would have tried that at all. Looks amazing, I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is really hard work! But, it looks amazing! I am sure you will love it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love it, Lori! What a difference. I know it was a lot of work but it looks so beautiful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well they look awesome, but yes what a job!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...