Saturday, April 14, 2012

Italian Brunch Torte

I make this heavenly treat once a year.  It is easy, a bit time consuming to put together, (twenty minutes maybe)  But the once a year thing keeps it special and it is my signature Easter treat.


Source - Taste of Home



Ingredients list might be a little long.  But my best tips are ~ Tip one:  have the deli slice meats and provolone cheese thin (to save on calories)  flavor is still there.  Tip two: I used half what they called for on the roasted red peppers ( one of the pricier ingredients ) Tip three:  Find a buy crescent baking sheets!  You don't have to mush the perforations together ever again!  I found mine at Kroger.


While your bottom crust in your spring pan is browning you saute your spinach and mushrooms.
You layer everything as the direction instruct and about an hour and twenty minutes later, your baked yumminess is done.  


Slice and serve.  Recipe said it makes twelve slices.  I cut into 16 since there were many other side dishes.  



In case the recipe link above does not work for you:

Ingredients

  • 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls, divided
  • 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 7 eggs
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
  • 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
  • 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained, sliced and patted dry

Directions

  • Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan. Separate one tube crescent dough into eight triangles; press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until set.
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook spinach and mushrooms in oil until spinach is wilted. Place between two paper towels and blot to remove excess liquid. In a large bowl, whisk six eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper.
  • Layer prepared crust with half of the ham, salami, provolone cheese, red peppers, spinach mixture and egg mixture. Repeat layers.
  • Separate remaining crescent dough; press triangles together to form a top crust. Place over casserole. Whisk remaining egg; brush over dough.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts1 slice equals 403 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 167 mg cholesterol, 1,360 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
Originally published as Italian Brunch Torte in Taste of Home 



12 comments:

  1. Yum...looks good, sounds good and now I'm hungry! Wish I lived next door - I'd pop over! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! Love that you have a signature Easter dish-fun:@)
    PS-inquiring minds want to know... are your walls pink or did you change the background in a program? And if a program which one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sounds soooooooooo good. I will definitely give it a try. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this sounds like my kinda pie! I will defininitely try it soon, hubby will love it! Thanks for the recipe. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet mama! That loooks good. I haven't found the crescent dough sheets yet, but I am on the lookout! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my gosh Lori, I bookmarked this. WOW it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that really looks delicious. I'll bet it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I'm pretty sure I just gained a pound just reading about it, but it was worth it! Yu-um!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lori, just a quick note to say I read your comments still and I am so sorry I don't have much time to reply anymore. It seems life has taken me on the "busy" path of late. Just wanted you to know you are an old blogging friend and commenter and I still know who you are!!!! Stay safe. Simone

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my fee time I like to cooking. You share such great recipe share here. I defiantly try to make this Italian brunch torte at home. Its too good.

    printed bags

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...